Article in partnership with Day Translations.
Each year Day Translations hosts the Day Awards to celebrate the language industry on International Translation Day, which falls on the 30th September.
Day Translations, Inc. was founded in 2007 by Sean Hopwood and since 2019 the Day Awards have been honouring translators worldwide. The contribution of translators has strategic importance to bridge the cultural gap between individuals, companies and organisations around the world.
From international TV shows to books and videogames, language translation plays an important role in making content accessible to people who may not speak the original language or may not be familiar with the cultural context of a show or book. The popularity of Korean films, music and TV series in recent years is a case in point, because thanks to translated subtitles these Korean products reached global audiences and turned occasional viewers and listeners into fans.
Talking of Kdrama (Korean drama), there is a film from South Korea in the list of subtitled content, alongside productions from the US, Mexico and France.
Who will win in the videogames category? Is Resident Evil still capturing people’s imagination just like it did in past years?
Which translated book will win in its category? Will Nicholas Sparks snatch the victory on the back of his books being translated in 50 languages or will Spanish interpreter and translator Vic Echegoyen be the winning author?
Day Awards 2023 Categories
Day Awards 2023 will announce all the winners in each category and people can vote for their favourite.
The categories are:
- Best Localized Video Game
- Best Translated Book
- Best Subtitles for Non-English Video Content
There are also two categories that are specific to the translation industry, of which the first also includes corporate productivity tools, and they are:
- Best Company Tool
- Best Day Translator of 2023
- Best Day Interpreter of 2023
You can vote using this online form.
Day Awards 2023 Finalists
These are the finalists for the games, videos and books categories.
Best Localized Video Game
- Kirby and the Forgotten Land
- The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
- Baldur’s Gate 3
- Assassin’s Creed Mirage
- Resident Evil 4 Remake
- Diablo IV
- Aliens: Dark Descent
Best Translated Book
- Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir
- Sacamantecas by Vic Echegoyen
- Os Mauzoes by Aaron Blabey
- Paradais by Fernanda Melchor
- The Wish by Nicholas Sparks
- Set Boundaries, Find Peace by Nedra Glover
- Sea of Tranquility, by Emily St. John Mandel
Best Subtitles for Non-English Video Content
- Everything Everywhere All at Once, 2022, USA, winner of 7 Oscars
- Human Resources, 2022-2023, USA
- Sous Emprise (‘No Limit’), 2022, France
- Kill Boksoon, 2023, South Korea
- Libre de Reír (‘Laughing on the Inside’), 2023, Mexico.
The 2023 Day Awards Ceremony on YouTube
The winners will be announced via a special awards ceremony that Day Translations will broadcast on their YouTube channel on the 2nd October 2023.
The ceremony includes all the annoucements of the winners plus some music appearances from international artists.
If you are unable to watch it as it happens, the livestream will be available on the channel afterwards. You can watch the 2022 ceremony here.